Solar Radiation Modification
Solar Radiation Modification (SRM), also known as Solar Radiation Management, Radiation Modification Measures or Solar Geoengineering, would aim to address a symptom of climate change by reflecting more sunlight back into space, or by allowing more infrared radiation from Earth to escape, in order to reduce the Earth’s temperature. It includes numerous proposed methods which differ significantly. None are ready for deployment. Solar Radiation Modification could not be a substitute for reducing emissions, or removing atmospheric CO2.
- 10 Aug 2021 Briefing Note: Solar Radiation Modification in the IPCC AR6 WGI (pdf)
- 25 Mar 2021 Policy Brief: Stratospheric Aerosol Injection and its Governance (pdf)
- 25 Mar 2021 Evidence Brief: Stratospheric Aerosol Injection and its Governance (pdf)
- 26 Nov 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 21 Jan 2020 Evidence Brief: Governing Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Español) (Français)
- 5 Aug 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Marine Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 9 Aug 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification (pdf)
- 25 May 2018 Carbon Removal and Solar Geoengineering: Potential implications for delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals (pdf)
Guest post by Olaf Corry
Guest post by Joshua Horton, Penehuro Lefale, and David Keith
By Janos Pasztor
C2GLearn WebinarGovernance of Stratospheric Aerosol InjectionThis C2GLearn Webinar: Governance of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection features three expert overviews followed by a half hour moderated Q&A session, during which audience members are invited to submit...
C2GLearn WebinarGovernance of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection - Ina MöllerIn this presentation, Ina Möller (Wageningen University) introduces key political dynamics around the governance of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection. This was the third of three expert overviews...
C2GLearn WebinarGovernance of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection - Arunabha GhoshIn this presentation, Council on Energy, Environment and Water CEO and Founder Arunabha Ghosh gives an introduction to large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification,...
In the interest of promoting global discussion about the need for governance of Solar Radiation Modification, C2G developed a set of icons representing these approaches, available to all to use freely.