Solar Radiation Modification
Solar Radiation Modification (SRM), also known as Solar Radiation Management, Radiation Modification Measures or Solar Geoengineering, would aim to address a symptom of climate change by reflecting more sunlight back into space, or by allowing more infrared radiation from Earth to escape, in order to reduce the Earth’s temperature. It includes numerous proposed methods which differ significantly. None are ready for deployment. Solar Radiation Modification could not be a substitute for reducing emissions, or removing atmospheric CO2.
- 25 Mar 2021 Policy Brief: Stratospheric Aerosol Injection and its Governance (pdf)
- 25 Mar 2021 Evidence Brief: Stratospheric Aerosol Injection and its Governance (pdf)
- 26 Nov 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 21 Jan 2020 Evidence Brief: Governing Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Español) (Français)
- 5 Aug 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Marine Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 9 Aug 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification (pdf)
- 25 May 2018 Carbon Removal and Solar Geoengineering: Potential implications for delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals (pdf)
Guest post by Joshua Horton, Penehuro Lefale, and David Keith
By Janos Pasztor
Guest post by Kerryn Brent, Jeffrey McGee, Jan McDonald and Manon Simon
C2GLearn WebinarGovernance of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection - Arunabha GhoshIn this presentation, Council on Energy, Environment and Water CEO and Founder Arunabha Ghosh gives an introduction to large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification,...
C2GLearn WebinarGovernance of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection - Douglas MacMartinIn this presentation, Douglas MacMartin (Cornell University) situates Stratospheric Aerosol Injection in the broader conversation on Solar Radiation Modification. This presentation was...
C2GLearn Campfire ChatSolar Radiation Modification and the ArcticThis Campfire Chat aimed to provide insights into diverse viewpoints on how to situate large-scale Solar Radiation Modification approaches in the context of the Arctic, and why their governance is both...
In the interest of promoting global discussion about the need for governance of Solar Radiation Modification, C2G developed a set of icons representing these approaches, available to all to use freely.