Solar Radiation Modification
Solar Radiation Modification (SRM), also known as Solar Radiation Management, Radiation Modification Measures or Solar Geoengineering, would aim to address a symptom of climate change by reflecting more sunlight back into space, or by allowing more infrared radiation from Earth to escape, in order to reduce the Earth’s temperature. It includes numerous proposed methods which differ significantly. None are ready for deployment. Solar Radiation Modification could not be a substitute for reducing emissions, or removing atmospheric CO2.
- 10 Aug 2021 Briefing Note: Solar Radiation Modification in the IPCC AR6 WGI (pdf)
- 25 Mar 2021 Policy Brief: Stratospheric Aerosol Injection and its Governance (pdf)
- 25 Mar 2021 Evidence Brief: Stratospheric Aerosol Injection and its Governance (pdf)
- 26 Nov 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 21 Jan 2020 Evidence Brief: Governing Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Español) (Français)
- 5 Aug 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Marine Solar Radiation Modification (pdf) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 9 Aug 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification (pdf)
- 25 May 2018 Carbon Removal and Solar Geoengineering: Potential implications for delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals (pdf)
Guest post by Matthias Honegger, Axel Michaelowa, and Jiahua Pan
Guest blog by Frank Keutsch
By Janos Pasztor
中文 | Español | FrançaisC2GTalk: An interview with Sandrine Dixson-Declève Co-President of the Club of Rome How can the idea of a planetary emergency help the world emerge from crisis? 20 July 2021This interview was recorded on 29 June 2021 and is also available with...
中文 | Español | FrançaisC2GTalk: An interview with Marc Vanheukelen How might solar radiation modification be put on the international governance agenda? 3 June 2021 This interview was recorded on 25 May 2021, and is also available with interpretation into...
Solar Radiation Modification: Governance challenges & options considering interests of climate vulnerable countries
This session at the 2021 Gobeshona Global Conference explored the policy status of Solar Radiation Modification (SRM), in particular Stratospheric Aerosol Injection (SAI); the potential options considering interests of highly vulnerable countries in this specific...
In the interest of promoting global discussion about the need for governance of Solar Radiation Modification, C2G developed a set of icons representing these approaches, available to all to use freely.