Carbon Dioxide Removal
Large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR), also known as negative emissions, or carbon drawdown, aims to address the primary human source of climate change by removing carbon dioxide permanently from the atmosphere to be stored underground or under the ocean floor. If deployed at a planetary scale, CDR could help prevent ocean acidification and slow the rate of global warming. CDR is not a substitute for rapidly reducing greenhouse gas emissions, which is essential under any scenario.
- 23 August 2021 Policy Brief: Direct Air Carbon Dioxide Capture & Storage (DACCS)
- 23 August 2021 Evidence Brief: Direct Air Carbon Dioxide Capture & Storage (DACCS)
- 2 August 2021 Evidence Brief: Climate-altering Approaches and the Arctic
- 17 Mar 2021 Policy Brief: Climate-Altering Approaches and the Arctic (中文) (Français) (Español) (Pусский)
- 2 Mar 2021 Evidence Brief: Carbon Dioxide Removal and its Governance
- 11 Feb 2021 Governing large-scale carbon dioxide removal: are we ready? – an update (full report)
- 11 Feb 2021 Governing large-scale carbon dioxide removal: are we ready? – an update (Executive Summary) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 24 Nov 2020 Potential implications of carbon dioxide removal for the sustainable development goals
- 28 Jul 2020 Discussion paper: Options for supporting Carbon Dioxide Removal
- 21 Nov 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 24 Sep 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Nature-Based Solutions to Carbon Dioxide Removal
- 9 Aug 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification
- 5 Aug 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 25 May 2018 Carbon Removal and Solar Geoengineering: Potential implications for delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals
Guest post by Bindu Bhandari and Viktor Jósa
Guest post by Olúfẹ́mi O. Táíwò, Georgetown University
by Cynthia Scharf and Mark Turner
C2GLearn WebinarGovernance of Nature-Based Approaches to Carbon Dioxide Removal – Youba SokonaIn this presentation, Youba Sokona (South Centre) situating carbon dioxide removal in the overall conversation on nature-based approaches, nature-based solutions and the...
C2GLearn Campfire ChatSolar Radiation Modification and the Sustainable Development Goals This Campfire Chat aimed to provide insights into diverse viewpoints on Solar Radiation Modification and the Sustainable Development Goals in a relatively informal, moderated,...
C2GLearn Campfire ChatLarge-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal: Gaps in GovernanceThis campfire chat aimed to provide insights into diverse viewpoints on the gaps in governance for large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) approaches. Experts discussed existing international...
In the interest of promoting global discussion about the need for governance of large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal, C2G developed a set of icons representing these approaches, available to all to use freely.
The icons are available in png and svg file formats.