Carbon Dioxide Removal
Large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR), also known as negative emissions, or carbon drawdown, aims to address the primary human source of climate change by removing carbon dioxide permanently from the atmosphere to be stored underground or under the ocean floor. If deployed at a planetary scale, CDR could help prevent ocean acidification and slow the rate of global warming. CDR is not a substitute for rapidly reducing greenhouse gas emissions, which is essential under any scenario.
- 23 August 2021 Policy Brief: Direct Air Carbon Dioxide Capture & Storage (DACCS)
- 23 August 2021 Evidence Brief: Direct Air Carbon Dioxide Capture & Storage (DACCS)
- 2 August 2021 Evidence Brief: Climate-altering Approaches and the Arctic
- 17 Mar 2021 Policy Brief: Climate-Altering Approaches and the Arctic (中文) (Français) (Español) (Pусский)
- 2 Mar 2021 Evidence Brief: Carbon Dioxide Removal and its Governance
- 11 Feb 2021 Governing large-scale carbon dioxide removal: are we ready? – an update (full report)
- 11 Feb 2021 Governing large-scale carbon dioxide removal: are we ready? – an update (Executive Summary) (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 24 Nov 2020 Potential implications of carbon dioxide removal for the sustainable development goals
- 28 Jul 2020 Discussion paper: Options for supporting Carbon Dioxide Removal
- 21 Nov 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 24 Sep 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Nature-Based Solutions to Carbon Dioxide Removal
- 9 Aug 2019 Evidence Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal and Solar Radiation Modification
- 5 Aug 2019 Policy Brief: Governing Marine Carbon Dioxide Removal (中文) (Français) (Español)
- 25 May 2018 Carbon Removal and Solar Geoengineering: Potential implications for delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals
Blog by Paul Rouse
Guest post by Ugbaad Kosar
Guest post by Martin Frick
中文 | Español | FrançaisAccelerating along the transformative pathway to net zero with large-scale carbon dioxide removal and storage UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) Joint Side Event Carnegie Climate Governance Initiative (C2G) and CO2GeoNet...
Challenges and Opportunities for Harnessing Climate & SDG Synergies: the role of carbon dioxide removal
中文 | Español | FrançaisChallenges and Opportunities for Harnessing Climate & SDG Synergies: the role of carbon dioxide removal UN Regional Commissions High-Level virtual dialogue - side event to the UN High-Level Dialogue on Energy Friday, 24 September 2021 at...
中文 | Español | FrançaisC2GDiscuss From net zero to net negative: policy implications for Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) 20 September 2021, UTC 14:00 This discussion was recorded on 8 September 2021, and is also available with interpretation into 中文, Español, and...
In the interest of promoting global discussion about the need for governance of large-scale Carbon Dioxide Removal, C2G developed a set of icons representing these approaches, available to all to use freely.
The icons are available in png and svg file formats.